Saturday 11 November 2017

5 minutes with artist Cristina Rose (Courtesy of Norfolk Online News)




5 minutes with artist Cristina Rose.

How long have you been painting?
Ever since I was child and was given paint with water books when I was about 3 or 4, I have been fascinated with paint and brushes ever since. My childhood house had different patterned wallpaper in each room. I remember using a fine brush and an egg cup of water to trace all the patterns. Mum probably gave it to me to keep me out of mischief.

What are your favourite things to paint?
I love my underwater paintings as much as I love snorkelling. So much serenity to be found down there, I could quite happily be a mermaid.
I love painting turtles, coralscapes, jellyfish and tropical fish.
The ebb and flow under the water is so relaxing, I actually feel like I am there while painting an underwater scene.

What are your least favourite things to paint? 
 Abstracts and realism (portraits and landscapes)I cant take photos if I want realism.
My art always turns out a little quirky and cartoon like so I wouldn’t even try to pretend to be a real landscape artist.

What or who inspires you?
People, when they give me challenges and commissions I hadn’t thought of doing before. Or if they ask me to do one of my favourite paintings in a totally new way.
And Colours! I love colour.
2 childrens book authors & illustrators I really love are Shirley Barber and Donna Green.

What is next on your list of goals?
I love whimsy, little bright coloured paintings that catch children’s attention, like little mushrooms with a fairy hiding behind. A dream would be to write and illustrate my own children’s books.
I always wanted to design a postage stamp and got that opportunity with Norfolk Island Philatelic, so I will always be grateful for that.

What do you love most about living on Norfolk Island?
 The natural beauty of the whole island. Every nook and cranny, every vista and view. And the ease of getting anywhere, it is all 5-10 minutes away, no traffic jams or traffic lights, just the occassional slow tourist looking around. Plus you can park straight up at the beach and jump out almost on the sand. The community spirit is pretty awesome too.


What would you change on Norfolk Island?
More ART! More volunteers to work with Community arts to keep the old favourite activities going such as art in the park and the yearly art exhibition.
I would love to see an art trail here and Burnt Pine shopping precinct boosted with some art and murals on the walls of the alleys and even the front of shops, maybe some sculptures also down the street. I absolutely love Norfolk Island, the colours are amazing. I would love to see more of the pacific flavour throughout the street with street art…. Maybe it will be a good project for me to run, one day.

Find cristinaroseart on Instagram and on facebook as art & murals by Cristina Rose.
She loves having fun and running competitions for locals like the great art treasure hunt and Free art Friday.
Currently she is running a comp where you name exactly what you want painted by her and she will draw your name out of a hat. Good luck everyone.

If you want her photography page, find her at Captured by Cristina Rose photography on facebook

No comments: